• August 6, 2018 at 10:17 pm #50721
    Sheryl MehaSheryl Meha
    Participant

Hello Janice and fellow students, my name is Sheryl and I am about to take the plunge and see if I have what it takes to become a successful children’s writer. I’m very excited and can’t wait to get on with it 🙂

August 20, 2018 at 12:32 pm #51114
    Contact NZIBSContact NZIBS
    Participant

Julie Benns, I keep trying to upload my photo, but it is just not working.  I have tried different platforms (explorer, firefox) and different photo formats (jpg, bmp).  I click on upload photo, click on the photo, a green line goes across the screen, but it never allows me to click “apply”.  My photo is only 600 kb, which is way less than the 953 mb you are allowed.  Is there some trick?

August 20, 2018 at 4:07 pm #51132
    NZIBS AdminNZIBS Admin
    Participant

Hi Pam, I’ve asked the IT team to check the issue. In the meantime, can you email me your photo (at [email protected])? I will try to upload it from this end.

August 20, 2018 at 4:25 pm #51134
    NZIBS AdminNZIBS Admin
    Participant

Pam, can you please try now? I think the team has fixed some issues.

August 28, 2018 at 9:16 am #51419
    Participant

Hello Janice and all of my fellow students.  It is nice to read about all of you.  I’m excited to take this course and especially to get feedback on my writing.  I’m also looking forward to learning more about publishing.  I’m living in the Hawkes Bay, so if there are other Hawkes Bay writers here, maybe we could get together sometime to encourage each other in our writing.  I’m keen to correspond with other writers to help each other with feedback and encouragement too.

August 31, 2018 at 5:34 pm #51542
    Janice MarriottJanice Marriott
    Participant

Hello new students.

No need to feel nervous.  We are all human beings! ( promise!)

Janice

August 31, 2018 at 5:34 pm #51544
    Participant

Hello new students.

No need to feel nervous.  We are all human beings! ( promise!)

Janice

September 7, 2018 at 12:24 pm #51787
    Participant

Hello Janice and all of my fellow students. It is nice to read about all of you. I’m excited to take this course and especially to get feedback on my writing. I’m also looking forward to learning more about publishing. I’m living in the Hawkes Bay, so if there are other Hawkes Bay writers here, maybe we could get together sometime to encourage each other in our writing. I’m keen to correspond with other writers to help each other with feedback and encouragement too (that being said, I am not sure we are able to get each other’s contact details, so that might not be allowed; does anyone know)?

October 16, 2018 at 1:32 pm #53121
    Abigail PalmerAbigail Palmer
    Participant

Hey team!

Lovely to meet you all. My name’s Abby and i live in Wanaka. I’m an snow sports instructor through the winters, and a kayak guide through the summers, mostly working with children. In winter I often spend much of my day coming up with imaginary scenarios or stories to keep the children interested, and learning ‘accidentally’ in the process. I’m excited to learn more about writing for children, and a bit nervous about working under my own supervision, as i’m a well seasoned procrastinator!

I look forward to getting to know you all and sharing our successes as the course progresses!

November 5, 2018 at 12:02 pm #53962
    Rachael McCleaveRachael McCleave
    Participant

Hi all

I’ve just joined up, I’m a self-employed barrister in Wellington. I’m also a mum and an outdoor sports nuts (skiing, climbing, mountain biking, road cycling). I’ve travelled a great deal over the years and have long had an urge to turn my experiences into exciting kids’ stories – the sort I would have wanted to read as a child! We’ll see how that goes but I’m looking forward to getting started. Oh, and my name’s Rachael 🙂

January 29, 2019 at 10:50 am #56928
    Jo DakenJo Daken
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m Jo, I live in New Plymouth.  I’m married to Glen and we have 3 children aged 13, 12 and 10.  I have my Diploma in Teaching (Early Childhood Education), although not working as an early childhood teacher currently.  I have had a dream for a long time to be a children’s author, and decided this year was my chance to go for it and give it a go in 2019.  I’m really excited to see where this course takes me.

June 10, 2019 at 10:32 pm #62405
    Lisa JuryLisa Jury
    Participant

Hi all, I’m Lisa and I live in the Coromandel Penninsula with my two children age 13 & 15 years and partner Kevin.  I am excited to join this course and would love to be able to publish a children’s book.  I am very passionate about children’s learning and education.  I have spent many years in Health Promotion and working in schools.  I don’t think I am a great writer but I am creative so I am looking forward to learning new writing skills.

June 11, 2019 at 3:18 pm #62449
    Barbara DarganBarbara Lautogo
    Participant

Hi everyone, my name is Barbara and I have just today started my CW course.  I am 60, divorced, and live in Opunake, Taranaki.  I have two adult children ad two beautiful grandchildren. I am so excited about doing this course.  I have just completed the Proofreading and Editing course also, and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Diploma!

June 11, 2019 at 3:44 pm #62454
    Robyn WelshRobyn Welsh
    Participant

Hi there,  I’m Robyn Welsh and I’ve been part of the Writing Stories for Children programme for two months now.  I’m also continuing to write short stories following my graduation from the Writing Fiction for Beginners course two years ago.  I’ve loved doing that but I wanted to add children’s stories to my life and I’m loving that so far.  I’ve got the time to do it in between my journalism work and other related work; I just need to be far more diligent about blocking time in my diary for specific writing to avoid “scatter brain”.  Down with multi-tasking, I say.

Two of my three adult children live overseas; my youngest James is 24.  We still have all of their children’s books – I just have to close my eyes, quieten my mind and take myself back to those books and even earlier to my own childhood memories.

As for this new journey, I excited to be part of the NZIBS family again. To my detriment I have tended to forget that even as a graduate I was still part of the whanau, so I need to be diligent about checking in with this forum too.  It is no good feeling isolated for sure.

So it’s back to work for me,  go well everyone.

June 21, 2019 at 12:35 pm #62854
    Participant

Hello Robyn

Yes, it is never good for writers to be isolated, either in their work or in their other lives.  Glad you have checked in.  I particularly like the way you talk of remembering books from your children’s childhoods.  Books, picture books, in particular, do seem to stick in the culture’s consciousness.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.