• March 8, 2019 at 9:03 am #58536
    Abi KnaufAbi Knauf
    Participant

Hi again,

I just had a question about moving one word (in a table) to the row above and aligned to the left (as opposed to the right). Instead of doing two mark ups, which could look messy, could I simply circle the word and draw a line to where it needs to be moved to and write (trs) in the margin? Therefore, killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Also the table is missing a a row where the subtitle is. I don’t know how to insert a row, so I have just put a query at the bottom of the page stating that a row needs to be inserted here, and that there needs to be two columns, with the subtitle aligned to the left of the second column. Is this accurate?

Thank you

March 8, 2019 at 1:57 pm #58547
    Val GydeVal Gyde
    Participant

Hi Abi

I’m not sure which particular table you’re referring to but hope the following suggestions are helpful.

To move text in a cell it’s useful to remember that it is usually automatically formatted. So if we are talking about double lines of text and a single word needs to be moved up, it will take the same alignment as the preceding text. Therefore you may not need to indicate alignment.

Table formats in science papers can be strictly governed by academic style guides, so there may not be a lot of room for changes.

However, if the change you are suggesting is related to improving consistency with other similar cells, you could perhaps use the mark up for “run on” or a “move matter” bracket, with a note to the author suggesting how the change would work.

It may also be useful to go back to some of the practice exercises in Tutorial 9 and look at the examples of mark up used there.

All the best with your assignment.

Val

March 8, 2019 at 4:03 pm #58551
    Abi KnaufAbi Knauf
    Participant

Hi Val,

Thank you for your quick reply. I have looked at Table 2-3, and realize that I have completely misread it. The importance of coming back to an assignment with new eyes is so important! I just didn’t see the error properly until my third look at it. I realize it has nothing to do with moving text, rather a row needs to be removed.

Thank you for your patience with me!

Kind regards,

Abi

March 11, 2019 at 10:47 pm #58657
    Dick WardDick Ward
    Participant

Well done, Abi.

It’s very easy to become set in the way we view a particular sentence but I have often been surprised by a student’s  understanding of a particular sentence, yet when I re-read such sentences it becomes clear how that different understanding has come about. TIf thios is the case then it is always possible to query, to ask for clarification.he moral is to always be open to different interpretations. just because the majority of readers have one view of a sentence does not mean that other interpretations aren’t possible.If there are two interpretations does this mean that the writing is not clear?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.