• July 27, 2019 at 10:51 am #64773
    Chas FoxallChas Foxall
    Participant

Kia ora all. Some valuable tips on street photography. This is one of my favourite types of photography but one needs to be careful that you are not impinging on an individual of groups privacy. Anticipation is the key. Observe people and try to anticipate if they are heading to a place or position that will be interesting, quirky or entertaining. It is best to find the best location and wait for them to appear in frame. Sometimes you can spot a wonderful background such as a poster decorated wall, a doorway, or a street corner. Perseverance is a quality that all good photographers should have.

You should scope out the light conditions and have your settings ready to snap that shot.   You can ask the subject before you shoot or simply set your camera on a fast shutter speed, silent mode, put it on your lap and shoot away. You may shoot many frames but one will be that magic shot. Often it doesn’t have to be perfectly composed or perfectly in focus, you can attend to that later using a photo editing software. I have photographed the Pride Parade for the media in past years and have had some superb shots.

Here you will see The Topp Twins in their caravan. Although they were posing to a certain extent the photograph has an element of genuine informality about it. Other shots here are from Las Vegas and Los Angeles that are part of my street photography collection. Try it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.