• November 30, 2016 at 8:29 am #12763
    Jill MalcolmJill Malcolm
    Participant

If an editor rejects your manuscript, do not despair. Get used to it. When I first started writing, I could have wall-papered a whole wall with rejection slips. Don’t take it personally, toughen up and keep going.

A story might be rejected for many more reasons other than your writing, but many people feel it is only their writing that is at fault.

Even if you have written an enquiry email first, and the editor has shown interest, he or she can change his or her mind. When you are an unknown writer, it is difficult to get a contract to write a story from an idea you have offered. The best you can hope for is a reply that says the idea is a good one and the story could be accepted on merit.

Some reasons for rejection of an idea or story are: the magazine may have covered the subject already or are about to; it may have too much material on hand; the subject of the material may not be right for the magazine’s readers; your photographs may not be good enough or may not support the story; the magazine might only use established writers.

Most editors get hundreds of ideas or unsolicited manuscripts sent to them each month.

Unfortunately editors are too busy to tell you why they’ve rejected a story. It is also not their job to do so.

Please write to the forum and tell others of your experiences.

November 30, 2016 at 9:00 am #12766
    Carol MorrisCarol Morris
    Participant

I hope all you creative writers out there are reading Jill’s words of wisdom.

Someone once told me the definition of NO is “negotiate on”

February 1, 2017 at 10:03 pm #15456
    Mandy EdwardsMandy Edwards
    Participant

I have only just discovered Jill! What she says is relevant to all of us. Not just the journalists. Maybe you could introduce her in the next newsletter Carol?

February 2, 2017 at 10:57 am #15480
    Carol MorrisCarol Morris
    Participant

Good thinking Mandy. I think we should feature a tutor each month and promote their course too.

February 16, 2017 at 9:35 pm #16336
    Robyn WelshRobyn Welsh
    Participant

Featuring the tutors in the newsletters is an excellent idea.

February 20, 2017 at 9:25 am #16521
    Jill MalcolmJill Malcolm
    Participant

I agree: it would make it more personal for students to know a little about their tutors. I would also like to know about the other tutors!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.