• March 9, 2017 at 11:35 pm #18027
    Contact NZIBSContact NZIBS
    Participant

I have a particular love/hate relationship with the word ‘procrastination’.

I came upon it when I was about fourteen, and it has dogged me ever since. Half a century of verbal and written strangulation, it is time I sought counselling, or, better still, shook the horns of that darn bull, and got on with it.

Bemoaning the fact my novel idea has never seen the light of day because the pencil was not sharp enough, has become rather old hat. Repetition for repetitions sake.

And as for – “I never seem to have the time” – after fifty years? The record is giddy and too obviously broken.

Time is now, not on my side, I am fast pacing it down the back straight, the end, tragically in sight.  A rigid plan needs to be devised, and adhered to, before my choices are not mine to make.

………………………………………………………….

March 10, 2017 at 1:14 pm #18058
    Jill MalcolmJill Malcolm
    Participant

I really liked this, Liz. You are not alone. Procrastination has bugged me all my life and I still haven’t got it under control. The thing is, I don’t know why!! I chastise my self constantly. It does seem to make a jot of difference.

To get things done, I often need the ‘panic monster’. That’s the great threatening giant that comes along when a deadline looms. Then I get it done!

The big problem arises when I don’t have  a deadline and so there is no panic monster. I have, for instance, an item I’ve been meaning to put on Trade Me for at least a year. It annoys me every time I look at it and I still haven’t done anything about it. I WILL do it to day. Just to prove I can. I finished writing a book a year ago and then lost interest and have been so slow getting it published it will be out of date before it hits the streets!! I shall take myself in hand??

March 10, 2017 at 5:05 pm #18074
    Brian MorrisBrian Morris
    Participant

Liz, you have shaken me to the CORE. “Before my choices are not mine to make.”

Wow.

I’ve seen old people in ga-ga land where other people decide when they’ll blow their nose etc.

You’ve shaken me out of procrastination with one king-hit.

I admit, I’ve had my next ebook HALF WRITTEN for three months. Liz, I thank you. I’ll be finishing it THIS MONTH of March 2017. BM

May 1, 2017 at 4:43 pm #24052
    Contact NZIBSContact NZIBS
    Participant

I think procrastination is a natural obstacle with any writing pursuit especially when it does require a certain amount of deliberation and refinement of its structure/style etc…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.