• September 7, 2018 at 10:33 pm #51812
    Abi KnaufAbi Knauf
    Participant

Hi,

Just a quick question regarding what to do with one insert mark and two markups?

E.g. Silence”See,bach

The mark up needs to be a period after Silence and also a space. Would it be (.)#/  to show one insert two changes?

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you!

Abi

September 7, 2018 at 10:48 pm #51815
    Contact NZIBSContact NZIBS
    Participant

Hi Abi,

Inserting a period is all you need to do. The typesetter will know to leave space after it.

Cheers John

September 11, 2018 at 1:59 pm #51893
    Dick WardDick Ward
    Participant

In this case, Abi, I feel that you are right in that you need to enter two marks . #/ as the space is not there in the original.

September 11, 2018 at 7:36 pm #51910
    Participant

Hi Dick,

To help me understand, if there was a sentence like: ” They left the roomJames then felt so much more comfortable.” I would have thought inserting a period would introduce both the period and space that comes after it and only a period would be needed. Is that not correct?

If it is then why is it different when the next character is a piece of punctuation, in this case, double quotation marks?

Does it depend on the competence expected of the typesetter?

Thanks

John

September 11, 2018 at 11:41 pm #51920
    Dick WardDick Ward
    Participant

Hi John,

No, you need to show the space after the period because it is an error. You should not assume that the typesetter will realize this. He or she might well but that is not the point. Your job is to mark up the errors. Whatever character comes next, a capital letter, quotation mark, speech marks, etc., makes no difference. You need to show the space if it is not there originally and should be there.

It is unlikely to be a major issue in most cases but what if the words involved were foreign or unusual, or numerals and calculations and formulae? While you don’t want to overload the typesetter, who might not be the writer, you do need clarity. It’s less likely to be an issue if it’s a missing word as that sort of error is more prominent but missing punctuation and incorrect spacing are more likely to slip through.

Besides, even if the client does spot that a space is also needed you want them to know that you have also seen the error and corrected it.

September 12, 2018 at 7:08 am #51923
    Participant

Thanks Dick,

Understood and very thorough.

Best wishes, John

September 12, 2018 at 8:48 am #51932
    Participant

Hi again Dick,

I have been giving some thought to what you said and it leads me to two inconsistencies that we already accept.

I think, as you rightly say, there are many contexts and as students, your intent is to make sure we recognise all errors. Leaving no space is an error but the context is a piece of English prose and in prose, a period is always (I think) followed by a space.

But when we add a letter to a word, say an ‘e’ to ‘passag’, the ‘e’ takes up the space between the words. However, we don’t need a second mark to introduce ‘more space’. Also when deleting a letter at the end of a word we don’t need a second mark to say ‘less space’ between that word and the next. Why? We expect it to be assumed the space will be removed. The same applies to inserting a letter or deleting a letter in the middle of a word. In the first case we don’t need to say ‘more space’ for the letter, but if we delete a letter we do, for some reason, have to say ‘close up’ as well, so using two marks in order to get rid of the space.

Just food for thought,

Kind regards, John

September 12, 2018 at 9:40 am #51934
    Kate BlenkinsoppKate Blenkinsopp
    Participant

Hi Abi,

I also wondered what to do with this, and ended up squeezing in two insert marks, and then the two marks in the margin separated (.)/(#). It looked all a bit squashy and wrong but I went with it.

September 20, 2018 at 11:23 pm #52241
    Dick WardDick Ward
    Participant

John,

One final comment about your last comment. There is likely to be a degree of variation in how proofreaders mark up extra letters in the middle of a word, for example, as well as human error by not always using the close up as well as the delete. The main point re the original query is to indicate that if there were two errors in the original, not one, then both should be indicated and corrected.

If you are correcting on screen then this is unlikely to be an issue as you will, I am sure, correctly space any insertions or deletions.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.