• March 1, 2017 at 4:38 pm #17351
    Jill MalcolmJill Malcolm
    Participant

Of possible interest.

I’ve mentioned TravCom before. It is worth joining if you aspire to be a travel writer. Here are the speakers for an upcoming event to give you an idea.

A curious eye and genuine enthusiasm for connecting the ordinary every-day with the extraordinary worlds of travel and style have taken Carmen Huter and her camera all across the globe.

Cathy O’Sullivan  is a digital strategist and editor who has worked in digital, print and broadcast media for 16 years in newsrooms in New Zealand and Europe. She is currently editor of Noted.co.nz, a new current affairs and culture website.

Graham Reid is a former New Zealand Herald feature writer. He is an award-winning journalist in the fields of politics, the arts and travel. He left the Herald in 2004 and, has been a freelance writer, radio commentator, lecturer at the University of Auckland’s School of Music for the past 12 years.

When:                               6.00pm, Monday 6 March

Cost:                                 $32 Members

$37 Non members

Includes nibbles and a drink on arrival. (Cash bar thereafter)

Where:                             Tass Williamson 2

Heritage Hotel, 35 Hobson St, Auckland

To book:                            email:  [email protected]

or phone 021 825 821, click here to register and use paypal

RSVP by 5pm Thursday 2 March  – sorry no door sales

March 10, 2017 at 4:50 pm #18070
    Brian MorrisBrian Morris
    Participant

I discovered this invitation AFTER the event. Drat! I’d have been there.

Lesson 1: Check Student Forum every 1-2-3 days so I get news and invitations in time to attend. Ditto for competitions.

Lesson 2: Just attending, listening, making notes, MEETING PEOPLE, exchanging business cards etc means I start participating in the world of travel writers etc.

Same goes for Sports Journalists’ gatherings, music gigs, boat sailors, artists, you-name-it. If they have a get-together and they’re YOUR KIND OF PEOPLE – be there.

Lesson 3: If you don’t have a few business cards in your pocket or purse – GET SOME.

You’re not fully dressed if you don’t have a business card to exchange.

http://www.vistaprint.co.nz   is where you get them. Top quality. Allow $30 for 250 cards, posted to you, colour on the front side, include your face photo, telephone and email. Travel Writer. (Or whatever you are.) Don’t be shy. Face photo! No excuses.

Use my DISCOUNT CODE: “THANKS20” and you’ll get a 20% discount. I earned it for YOU.

Lesson 4: Give out 5 cards every day of the year. That’s right, if you stayed in bed all day yesterday you give TEN cards away today, so you catch up. Remember, your objective is to become KNOWN as a travel writer. Bible says “Don’t hide your light etc.”

Brian Morris

PS    Report to your tutor when you’ve attended a travel gig. What was the outcome? It wouldn’t have happened if you weren’t there!

March 11, 2017 at 11:45 am #18123
    Jill MalcolmJill Malcolm
    Participant

Thanks Brian. That is all such good advice.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags