• March 2, 2017 at 8:06 am #17416
    Brian MorrisBrian Morris
    Participant

Seems NOT having a Life Coach, or not listening to the advice they offered, got a bunch of former All Blacks into strife last week.

However, I’m not sure whether a Life Coach would have helped Dan, Ali and their friends. Whereas I was told the ‘conscience angel’ who sits on your shoulder and says, “Hold back. Is that a wise move?”  is your best friend.

Something to remind your clients.

March 2, 2017 at 8:25 pm #17465
    Contact NZIBSContact NZIBS
    Participant

I thought life coaches did not offer advice to their clients.

>>>>>

Technically, you’re right. The Socratic technique is to phrase the life coach’s suggestion or advice in the form of a question, so the client comes to their own conclusion or decision.

For example, “Do you think putting garlic flakes on your ice cream will make it taste better?”

Either outcome answer is not life-threatening, whereas there are times when giving advice or a directive is better. As when “STOP. COME BACK. THE BRIDGE IS COLLAPSING!” or “Don’t drink that. It’s poisonous.”

Having sufficient maturity to know when to break normal rules is important to all life coaches. BM

August 10, 2017 at 9:49 am #31682
    John GreyJohn Grey
    Participant

OK, I take your point,(tongue in cheek) nearing the end of my course, my second attempt at posting/commenting and just trying my hand at communicating with the community seeking wisdom on the life coaching journey for newbies, any ideas ?, by the way, three months as a student, three entries to the forum, haven’t been that interested really to busy, is that good/bad or doesn’t it matter ?

john

August 10, 2017 at 3:39 pm #31712
    Phil LinklaterPhil Linklater
    Participant

Neither good nor bad John. Taking part is valued regardless. And, you have made excellent progress from early beginnings to where you are now

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags