• December 22, 2018 at 9:52 am #55576

My last challenge to all students:

Please make 3 photographs, any format, any size, b/w or colour or derivation /manipulation….whatever…!

Easy? Yes and no…..

But there are conditions, here they are:

Photo one is made at 100 ISO, shutter speed 8 seconds, aperture F4

Photo two is made at 100 ISO, shutterspeed 1/15 of a second, aperture is F22

Photo three is made at 100 ISO, shutterspeed 1/1000 of a second, aperture is F8

You must convey three feelings or stories: of “happiness”,  “relaxation” and “strength”.

Choose any photo setting to convey that feeling or story.

If you have no 100 ISO substitute it for 200. No other deviations allowed.

Submit your images here in this thread before the first of February 2019. Unlimited entries, each one will be evaluated by me after the closing date .

My best wishes for a good time with yourself and your camera. Feedback? Of course, ask anything….

January 30, 2019 at 10:33 pm #57004

Last chance, a reminder – submit and rejoice…????

January 31, 2019 at 9:00 pm #57060
    Marilyn WheelerMarilyn Wheeler
    Participant

ISO 100. 8 secs. f4. Relaxation.

January 31, 2019 at 9:12 pm #57062
    Participant

ISo 100. 1/15th sec. f22. Happiness.

This is not the image I wished to submit, but my time escaped me (again) .A tripod would have helped. [attachment file=”Happiness ISO 100, 1.15th sec. F22…..jpg”]

I was testing the required settings.

This is my front garden from my front entranceway. My garden does make me happy, I enjoy wandering about under the canopy of shrubs with a glass of French Bordeaux in my hand. Bliss.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    February 1, 2019 at 9:54 pm #57111
    Participant

Oh Dear me Robert. I guess this was not the response you had wished for.

Only one recipient and even she only got two thirds through the challenge.

The challenge itself was great. It made me think about  the triangle of ISO / TV / AV.

I found the subject matter more of a challenge. But thats just me.

February 28, 2019 at 3:16 pm #58163

Good afternoon Marilyn, I finally have some time to evaluate your image for the last challenge.
    The red flowers act like a beautiful focal point it is the most colourful image area surrounded by rather similar shades of green. Fortunately you have been able to give us some depth to the image if I look at the bottom right hand corner and the top left hand corner and the centre of the image I can see areas in front and behind this lovely Bush.
    It is a documentary shot of your happiness, it is not a photograph that stands out as a special photograph of a garden.
    In that case the light would have been more dramatic, the sky could have been darker, and other image enhancements to make this section of your garden stand out more photographically.
    At the moment all I get is a lovely impression of a very restful place that is thoroughly enjoyable to see and watch and be inside it.
    It is not a photograph that would grace the front cover of home and garden.
    Then again I didn’t ask for front cover photograph, I asked for a picture of happiness and you reflected that very well in this image.
    My hope is that you can integrate your photographic abilities a little bit more in documenting the scenery around you by utilising reflectors, the position of flight, atmospheric conditions, et cetera.
    You have conveyed the feeling of happiness, that’s all I asked for and you have completed that very well.

Being a photographer, I always get that urge to lift that what I photograph beyond its visual appearance if I can so it becomes more than what I have photographed. Not always possible but it’s worth a try. Your horizon is perfectly poised on one thirds, but the remainder of the photograph seems a little unbalanced. The piece of food at the bottom right hand corner seems to support your garden very well, visually as physically.

I have the feeling that this exact area can offer visually many different photographs. Hope you enjoy making photographs there Marilyn and thank you for submitting this so I could submit my final and last comment on this challenge.

Many thanks to be such a faithful and committed contributor to our challenges on the student discussion board. I would give you 7/10 for this image. Keep working at it, I am sure the same spot could give you a 10 out of 10 given different circumstances…

Best wishes Robert x.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags