• May 2, 2018 at 2:26 pm #45572
    David MullerDavid Muller
    Participant

I thought some of our proofreaders might be interested in examples of a certain jargon form of writing. For those that might have missed it this was posted by Robert Van De Voort on the photography section. It appears to be advertising for an upcoming photo exhibition.

What comments do you have—

The Auckland Photo festival is coming up and here is one of the descriptions of the show:

The piece of work reproduces the sea watching experience in the enlistment period of the photographer. It raises the discussions of the developments of the doubt, opposing, and banishment of oneself by two types of memories, text and photos, which represent the splitting of the self into two entities to adapt to the system differences of the environment, culture, and values between the conscript life and the normal daily life.

And another description:

<article id=”faq137454″>Developing from their exhibition in Ōtepoti in 2017, The Insider uses public space; street and gallery, as a site for response to inequality, allowing for the propaganda-like campaign to act as the catalyst for conversation and directly questions the hierarchies that govern culture and critical thinking.

May 2, 2018 at 3:42 pm #45576
    Kathy SwailesKathy Swailes
    Participant

Gobbledegook … in my ‘humble’ opinion! I guess I’ll never work on marketing art.

May 2, 2018 at 4:23 pm #45582
    Contact NZIBSContact NZIBS
    Participant

What wonderful, error-free prose, just as I found during my enlistment interregnum; to raise doubt is not for the purpose of banishing dialogue, replacing it with two types of contradictory entities, that theretofore regenerate a spirit of cultural environmental tenseness, and by opposing, ends them.

May 3, 2018 at 5:46 pm #45643
    Diane Adams-RuddDiane Adams-Rudd
    Participant

No wonder I don’t “get” art!

May 8, 2018 at 11:05 am #45886
    Dick WardDick Ward
    Participant

Hi John,

I trust you are now out of your enlistment interregnum, and ending with a Shakespeare quote is always worth doing whatever the context. The trouble is so much of modern corporate speak also follows this model. Another example of ‘bullshit baffles brains’.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.