• November 3, 2016 at 1:49 pm #11781
    Jill MalcolmJill Malcolm
    Participant

My name is Jill Malcolm. After the sad departure of David Pardon, I am now the tutor for the NZIBS journalism and travel writing courses.

I have been a writing tutor for many years and quite a few of my students have gone on to produce significant work.

Writing can be a career path or a way of generating a side income. Being able to write well enhances almost any job and an added advantage these days is that it can be done on-line from anywhere. But a clear sentence does not arrive on the page by chance. Learning to write better is a never-ending process. I have been a professional writer for the last 35 years and I am still learning. If you find that writing is hard, it’s because it is hard.

It is also extremely rewarding.

My favourite quote on the subject comes from that literary giant, Ernest Hemingway, whose bold economical style greatly influenced 20th century writing.

“It’s none of their business that you have to learn how to write. Let them think you were born that way.”

>>>>>>>>>>

Welcome, Jill.

Students who don’t know Jill’s prodigious reputation will find her byline in dozens of magazines, sometimes as editor. Other times as contributor. BM

November 5, 2016 at 1:43 am #11882
    Contact NZIBSContact NZIBS
    Participant

Hi Jill, my name is Toni and I am enrolled in the travel writing course.  I am Christchurch born, but have been living in Western Australia for the last ten years.

I love both travelling and writing, but sometimes find it a little hard to focus on the latter.  I am hoping to rectify this and have a more creative outlet for myself.  My main aim in completing this course is to find some fulfillment that is missing from my life at present.

For the last six years I have been working for a Records Management company in Perth – the company has just been sold and we are going through a period of transition and uncertainty.  This is just one of a few things that has occurred over the last few years that has made me question what I want out of life and has prompted the decision to try and create a different lifestyle for myself.

I am looking forward to learning and hopefully getting even more out of my travels, and perhaps finding a new path as my life progresses.

November 7, 2016 at 10:57 am #11947
    Jill MalcolmJill Malcolm
    Participant

Hi Toni.

Welcome to the Travel Writing course! It sounds as if you are in a perfect position to make some changes in your life. I’m pleased you have enrolled and have created this opportunity for yourself. I’ve read your reasons for joining, and I can assure you that learning to travel write is fulfilling, whatever you chose to do with it once you have learnt.

The course is challenging and interesting and at its conclusion you will have a lot of new skills and a good idea of what is involved to become a good writer.

Congratulations for giving it a go. I know you will enjoy the process and I am looking forward to working with you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.