• April 30, 2017 at 12:18 pm #23810
    Brian MorrisBrian Morris
    Participant

‘I won a three-legged race when I was five and 20 years later I married my race partner.’ <<< I made that up, but if it were true … it could develop into a fascinating story.

‘At our wedding my future husband entrusted my wedding ring to his dozey brother, his best man, who lost it. Awkward pause in proceedings. Until my widowed grandmother stepped forward and offered hers. “Here, you need this more than me.” ‘ <<< I made that up, but if it were true … it could develop into a fascinating story.

‘When the taxi driver missed the motorway exit …’

‘At the flight desk I was told, “I’m sorry, sir, but your flight has closed.” …’

OK, you get the idea. Select a bizarre opening sentence and START WRITING. BM

>>> I followed this advice and here’s the result.  www.amazon.com/b00c95oohy

B zero zero C 95 O O HY

BTW, if you enjoy these true stories, please be first to write a review. Q. Is it worth five stars? You decide.

May 2, 2017 at 10:11 am #24169
    Tina ShawTina Shaw
    Participant

This is a great way to start writing a story. By starting with a bizarre opening sentence, you can tap into your mind’s creative morass and maybe discover a bunch of whole new characters and ideas.

May 6, 2017 at 3:08 am #24596
    Carolyn McKenzieCarolyn McKenzie
    Participant

Hi Brian, can you check the link or give the book’s name as copying and pasting the above link didn’t work. Thanks.

May 6, 2017 at 3:13 pm #24636
    Contact NZIBSContact NZIBS
    Participant

Carolyn,

I found it by going to amazon.com and in the search engine at the top of the Amazon page I pasted the code from Brian’s link: b00c95oohy

That went directly to his book. I’m not sure why the original link didn’t work, but this is a good way around the problem.

>>>>>

Everyone: Learn to notice which digit is numeral ZERO, and which is LETTER O.

Ditto applies to NUMBER ONE and LETTER L.

Tip: You help other people get your details correct when you say ZERO instead of O when you speak your email address. Yes, you have the whole world to educate. But you KNOW it is right. BM

May 6, 2017 at 5:54 pm #24644
    Participant

Thanks Kathy, that worked for me this time. And I laughed out loud just reading the blurb – can’t wait to read the stories.

May 11, 2017 at 12:17 pm #25105
    Contact NZIBSContact NZIBS
    Participant

Aw Brian, you had me all excited, and the darn link doesn’t work!

>>>>

See Kathy’s tip, posted below. Ie, get on http://www.amazon.com then put the code into the SEARCH BOX. That works.

Tip: Ian, post a plug here for YOUR BOOK. We all love supporting each other by buying books by other students. BM

>>>>

Ian and everyone: Learn to notice which digit is numeral ZERO, and which is LETTER O.

Ditto applies to NUMBER ONE and LETTER L.

Tip: You help other people get your details correct when you say ZERO instead of O when you speak your email address. Yes, you have the whole world to educate. But you KNOW it is right. BM

May 11, 2017 at 5:31 pm #25140
    Participant

Hi Ian, follow Kathy’s advice below to get to the book on Amazon

June 9, 2017 at 8:11 pm #27918
    Robyn WelshRobyn Welsh
    Participant

These are brilliant openers.    I’ll follow them up and start writing.  Just the thing to fill a blank spot in the middle of something else.

>>>>>

Robyn, do tell us all WHERE to find your new ebook of bizarre stories. BM

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags