• January 26, 2018 at 8:40 pm #40258
    Robyn WelshRobyn Welsh
    Participant

Aren’t summer holidays just wonderful?  I picked up Janet Frame’s three-volume autobiography in a Coromandel recycle shop and I’m loving every bit of it, making notes along the way as ideas pop into my head.

Then, one day and few chapters in, I picked it up to take a look at the collection of photos and out fell a piece of paper.  It was the Order of Service for Janet’s funeral in Dunedin following her death on January 29, 2004.

On the back of that sheet of hymns, tributes and her poetry there was a mention in similar small type:  ‘A Reading by Jacquie Baxter – From Janet Frame’s Autobiography.’

I’m thinking that this must have been the book that belonged to Jacquie Baxter, poet and author and the widow of J K Baxter.   If so, then who gave it to her?  The words inside the front cover read: ‘From Joy and Alastair April 1991.’ Who are they?  And where might they be now?  And where has this book been on its travels from 1991 until Christmas 2017, across some 26 years?

I can wonder all I like.  Or I could wrap a whole new story around this theme that has just fallen into my lap.

January 30, 2018 at 12:02 pm #40364
    Kathy SwailesKathy Swailes
    Participant

Just had goose bumps (despite the heat) when reading your mini-story/real-life events. I’ll look forward to reading what you fictionalise (Is that a word?) for the intervening years.

January 30, 2018 at 3:01 pm #40373
    Carolyn McKenzieCarolyn McKenzie
    Participant

That’s a fabulous story, Robyn. Sounds like a well-travelled book and there has to be great story waiting to be written in there somewhere, so good luck with that!

January 30, 2018 at 5:09 pm #40385
    Nikki CrutchleyNikki Crutchley
    Participant

Wow what a great story Robyn! Definitely a tale in the making 🙂

January 31, 2018 at 9:36 am #40411
    Tina ShawTina Shaw
    Participant

That’s incredible – what a valuable find.

June 3, 2018 at 11:46 am #47528
    Mandy EdwardsMandy Edwards
    Participant

A fabulous find. Everything happens for a reason. I wonder what that is for you?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.