• January 16, 2019 at 9:54 pm #56360
    David MullerDavid Muller
    Participant

Where oh where was the proofreader? This plaque was spotted in Hastings. I hope it did not cause a diplomatic incident.

[attachment file=56361]

January 16, 2019 at 9:59 pm #56366
    Robyn Van DuynRobyn Van Duyn
    Participant

Can’t see the plaque…

January 16, 2019 at 10:06 pm #56369
    David MullerDavid Muller
    Participant

Sorry Robyn. The picture came out upside down so I deleted it to try and turn it around. Now I cannot add it to the original post so i will see if I can add it here.

[attachment file=56370]

Unfortunately it is still upside down. Maybe someone can turn it and re-post it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 21, 2019 at 11:40 am #56570
    Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson
    Participant

Compliments of the New Year to you Robyn!

I, too, had a go at saving the pic, rotating it and re-saving it as a different filename, but when I uploaded the latter to this forum, the image was upside down again.

Eventually I had to capture a screenshot and save that as a new file. I think that this has worked!

[attachment file=56571]

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 21, 2019 at 11:49 am #56574
    David MullerDavid Muller
    Participant

Thanks for your help Kevin

That seems to have fixed the problem. Everything I tried always ended up as upside down. Maybe  it is something to do with the forum software.

January 24, 2019 at 11:01 am #56747
    Dick WardDick Ward
    Participant

While I am hope Moses didn’t have a similar problem with the tablets of stone he brought down from the mountain with the ten commandments, there was one bible edition that omitted ‘not’ in the commandment forbidding adultery. From memory it’s called the Sinners’ Bible but I am sure someone will enlighten me if any of my details are wrong.

January 24, 2019 at 3:55 pm #56773
    David MullerDavid Muller
    Participant

Dick! You are absolutely correct. The Wicked Bible or Sinners Bible was published in 1631 with that dreadful proofreaders error. Ironically the few copies that remain are worth a heap of money. Here is a link to further information.

It also looks like there have also been other bad errors in various editions of the Bible through the ages.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/11/17/the-new-bible-museums-wicked-bible-thou-shalt-commit-adultery/?noredirect=on

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.