• February 8, 2022 at 3:28 pm #86442
    Contact NZIBSContact NZIBS
    Participant

Good afternoon

In Fit to Print, an example is given with regards to measurement.  It states that ‘9 m’ and ‘nine metres’ are appropriate but not ‘nine m’.  I was wondering however whether you can use ‘9 metres’, that is, a combination of a numeral and a spelt out unit of measurement.  I have had a look through the section in Fit to Print but can’t see anything that explains this scenario. I am working on assignment eight and there are a number of inconsistencies relating to the use of numerals, for example, 30 degrees, 2 mm and forty-five minutes.

Denise.

February 9, 2022 at 1:41 pm #86446
    Dick WardDick Ward
    Participant

Hi Denise,

Ron Cooper’s style is somewhat inconsistent but you are not being asked to edit the chapter, which would take some time so, by all means, correct the obvious numeral/word errors but a general note to the author pointing out the normal conventions would be helpful. Even if you don’t change all of them, any that you are concerned about should be circled and reference to the explanatory editorial note made so that your tutor is aware whether you have spotted a potential issue. The author should also be consistent  in the style used in a particular context.

In the real world you would explain what the normal numeral/word conventions are bearing in mind that this is a normal prose memoir, not a technical manual, in which case nine metres rather than 9 metres but 2 mm may be acceptable in certain contexts.

Dick

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.