• December 18, 2018 at 7:59 pm #55493
    Abi KnaufAbi Knauf
    Participant

Hello! I am hoping someone can help me with the alignment in Assignment 8. I totally understand different alignments of left-aligned text, centered text, right aligned text and justified text.

Much of assignment 8 is justified text (straight lines either side). However, I have counted 4 paragraphs that seem to be left aligned (and therefore the right side is jagged)

I may be completely off my rocker (and insanely tired) but I think I am right…

I just don’t know how to mark this up if I am right. Would it just be the two double vertical lines to the right with the words (align) in the margin? Or would I write (justify alignment).

Any support/ advice would be super appreciated!

Thank you!

January 3, 2019 at 2:45 pm #55862
    Jackie FothergillJackie Fothergill
    Participant

Hi Abi

I have the same question regarding the markup to use for the alignment. Have you figured it out or had any suggestions yet?

I think I will just go with the double lines and ‘align’ in the margin, and maybe also make a note to the ‘client’ pointing out that there are several instances of this in the document. (I have a feeling it’s more important to point out an error or inconsistency than it is to use a particular mark for it? Bearing in mind that some of our ‘clients’ in the real world won’t have a clue what the various proofreading marks actually mean!)

January 14, 2019 at 10:06 am #56254
    Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson
    Participant

Yes, double vertical lines at the correct margin within the text block, and ‘Align’ circled as the markup comment will suffice.

Regards

Kevin

January 24, 2019 at 11:17 am #56755
    Dick WardDick Ward
    Participant

Well-spotted, Abi.

Jackie’s point is well-made. If working for a non-industry client you need to make sure any corrections are understood and a general note for repeated similar errors is likely to be helpful, especially if it’s something that can be fixed by a ‘find and replace’ function.

January 31, 2019 at 11:48 am #57026
    Val GydeVal Gyde
    Participant

A brief additional note whilst acknowledging this topic has been well-covered –

It’s worth noting that graphic designers are often responsible for fixing text alignment. As it’s part of their training, they generally do understand hand mark-up symbols.

January 31, 2019 at 11:48 am #57028
    Val GydeVal Gyde
    Participant

A brief additional note whilst acknowledging this topic has been well-covered –

It’s worth noting that graphic designers are often responsible for fixing text alignment. As it’s part of their training, they generally do understand hand mark-up symbols.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.