• November 9, 2018 at 9:45 pm #54133
    Abi KnaufAbi Knauf
    Participant

Hello,

I have been looking at the alignment in Assignment 7.

The first 4 pages all start at the same place on the page, whereas the last 3 pages start 2 lines lower. I have marked these three pages using ‘raise lines’ mark up as to ensure consistency.

I have noticed that the change in layout is between two chapters.

I hope I had done this correctly, as it is something I missed in Assignment 6.

I also had a question regarding the ‘damaged’ text that we have been asked to look out for. I haven’t been able to find any damaged text in terms of ink/ printing errors… but have used a t/o mark twice, where a dash has been split over two lines. I am wondering if this is the ‘damaged’ text.

Any help would be appreciated! I am marking my classes reports at the moment, and unfortunately have got some brain fog occurring.

November 10, 2018 at 9:37 pm #54162
    Contact NZIBSContact NZIBS
    Participant

Hi Abi,

I did this a bit blind, but I agree that your raising of the 3 pages is correct to maintain consistency. As far as ‘damaged text’ goes I also think you have identified the two split dashes. I could not find anything else. I don’t know if ‘t/o’ works, as I did something different, but assuming a ‘t/o’ leaves no space, then the split dash will become one dash. But I suggest you look very closely at the split dashes and decide if they are dashes or the deeper/thicker hyphens, or split n dashes. Also if you put the two split – whatever they are– together, would they be long enough to be an em dash?

This becomes a good time to use a magnifying glass!

Make sure that you tell the typesetter/design person that you want an m dash. If you do not make that clear then you may be misleading them into putting in a different punctuation mark.

Hope I have helped.

John

November 13, 2018 at 7:31 pm #54300
    Abi KnaufAbi Knauf
    Participant

Thank you so much John,

That certainly helped. I am now trying to figure out the best way to mark up two things.

1) To change this dash, which is definitely not long enough to be an em dash – to an em dash

2) How to make sure that it is not broken over two lines.

I initially thought t/o, as a previous assignment had a similar case, however, the dash wasn’t broken over two lines.

I will keep the thinking going! At the moment, my brain feels hijacked haha.

Thank you again!

Abi

November 15, 2018 at 11:34 pm #54368
    Dick WardDick Ward
    Participant

Hi Abi,

Remember that damaged text means characters that have not been printed out properly  and not incorrect characters. I suspect that in the case of this assignment only some assignments have actual damaged text  due to a fault in the printing or photocopying process, and so may not be in all versions of assignment 7.

It might also be helpful to look at pages 31 to 33 of Fit to Print on the differences between hyphens, en and em dashes, and treat the dashes involved as separate characters and so correct them accordingly.

However, the most important thing is deciding whether there is an error and suggesting an appropriate course of action to redress any such error.

November 16, 2018 at 11:17 pm #54404
    Contact NZIBSContact NZIBS
    Participant

Hi Abi,

One way to deal with these hyphens, that are split over two lines, is to simply delete the one at the end of the line, and the software will extend the line to fill the gap. That means no need to use ‘close up’ horizontal brackets on the delete symbol. Then delete the hyphen at the start of the second line, replacing it with an ‘m’ dash in the margin. I didn’t think of this easy solution for a while. I think it works well.

John

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.