• February 28, 2019 at 9:24 pm #58194
    Abi KnaufAbi Knauf
    Participant

Hello 🙂

Just clarifying a few things for my fuzzy brain.

1. When the second line of a sentence is not aligned to the left, but rather to the right, you would use the ‘move matter to the left’ mark up?

E.g.

I am so tired I really need to go to bed right now                                                                                                                                                                               because I have the gym tomorrow morning.

2. When you use the close up space mark to delete space between characters, how can you be clear that you want the left half of the broken characters move to the right and not the other way round (I am referring to marking up the table 2.3, where the number ranges have been separated).

3. I want to shift up a number range up that is two lines below where it should be in tables 2.4. Would I just use the ‘raise lines’ mark up as opposed to ‘take back’ mark up?

4. I haven’t done this for awhile but also checking that when I transpose a block of text, I simply circle it and draw with a line where it is supposed to go, with trs circled in the margin.

Okay no more questions!
    Thank you again… NEARLY one assignment to go 🙂

Kind regards,

Abi

March 1, 2019 at 5:58 am #58202
    Val GydeVal Gyde
    Participant

Hi Abi

Well done – the end of your course is in sight! Here are some quick responses to your questions:

1. The type of mark up used depends on the situation. ‘Run on’ applies where there is a gap in a continuous sentence. ‘Move matter’ is probably best reserved where there are clear alignment issues.
    2. ‘Close up’ is sufficient. It’s quite safe to assume that the typesetter will continue to align the data in the same way as the rest of that column.
    3. Each line of data in each cell of a table can be separate (as opposed to continuous lines of text). ‘Raise lines’ would probably be the most appropriate solution in this situation if you need to reduce the space between lines.
    4. The method you’ve described for ‘transpose text’ is correct.

Good luck with your final assignments!

Val

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.