• February 16, 2019 at 2:23 pm #57628
    Abi KnaufAbi Knauf
    Participant

Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding Assignment 10’s Contents page.

I have looked at numerous other Contents pages in other texts and have noticed inconsistencies with the one we need to mark up.

I am trying to decide the best way to mark up the page numbers so that they are all right aligned, but I am not sure the best way to do this.

I am also wondering if I should center the word ‘Contents’ as the other examples I have looked at are centered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Abi

February 20, 2019 at 2:34 pm #57795
    Dick WardDick Ward
    Participant

Hi Abi,

In the real world you would have a style guide, or could choose a style if it’s a one-off document/manuscript. This isn’t from a series so no style guide is needed from this point of view.

in the assignment there are some inconsistencies or potential errors ( think font, spelling, incomplete word etc) to look out for but the overall layout, such as centred heading and right-aligned pages numbers are not among the deliberate errors. However, should you choose to alter the layout this would be OK as long as you stick to an approved convention.

Hope this helps.

Dick

February 20, 2019 at 10:27 pm #57826
    Abi KnaufAbi Knauf
    Participant

Thank you for your reply Dick!

I have another query regarding the word rock. It often mentions the Rock (capitalized as it is the name) and then at times it mentions boring into the rock (which I am assuming is the general term rock and not the name Rock). I am getting confused with this, and hope I am ensuring the word rock has the right punctuation. It is probably late and I cannot think clearly.

My other query was with regarding punctuation. If something is quoted at the end of a paragraph, would the full stop lie outside of the quotation marks because it belongs to sentence or would it be inside of the quotations marks because it is in itself the end of a sentence?

Thank you again,

Abi

February 21, 2019 at 10:25 am #57842
    Dick WardDick Ward
    Participant

The use of rock is confusing at times. Sometimes it refers to the Rock and other times it seems to be referring to the geological feature rock. in some cases either would fit. make it clear to the client (ie tutor0 why you may have chosen one or the other in those cases where it is unclear.

See Fit to Print sections 1.99 – 1.107 on pages 39 to 41 re the full stop and quotes issue as US style differs from British/NZ style slightly.

The NZ/British and US general guideline is that if the full stop is part of the quote and it is also at the end of the current  author’s sentence, then the full stop goes inside the quote marks.

For British/NZ style, if the full stop is not part of the quote then it goes after the quote marks; the fact that the sentence also ends the paragraph makes no difference to this.

So if the quote is only part of a sentence the full stop goes after the quote marks. If it’s a complete sentence then inside the quote marks.

US style puts the full stop inside the quotes regardless.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.