• March 13, 2021 at 4:39 pm #85058
    Contact NZIBSContact NZIBS
    Participant

Kia ora,

In tutorial 1 practice exercise 6 they ask us to choose the correct position of the adverb in two sentences. I was able to do so by estimating which sounded more correct but I’m wondering if anyone could share their ‘rules’ around this as I was unable to find explicit instructions in the tutorial.
    Thanks in advance!

Char

March 13, 2021 at 11:43 pm #85060
    Dick WardDick Ward
    Participant

Hi Char,

Despite what some people claim are rules regarding adverb position, the best guide is the one you have already used: in English, if it sounds right, it is likely to be right. There is a general rule that they are usually placed as near as possible and before the main verb but after auxiliary verbs (be, have, may and must), and if you search online for adverb position you will find a list of rules or, rather, several lists of rules, giving various examples. If this is confusing, see my first sentence. What sounds right is the best guide. Lots of the rules of English grammar were invented by the Victorians, who tried to base them on Latin grammar but since Latin is a dead language and hasn’t changed, and English is a living language in a state of flux these ‘rules’ do not necessarily apply.

However, there are occasions when the position affects the meaning: 1. Even the scientist are concerned about traffic fumes. 2. The scientists are even concerned about traffic fumes. 3. The scientists are concerned about even traffic fumes.

These three sentences mean different things. In 1 everybody, even the scientists, are concerned about traffic fumes. In 2 the scientists are concerned about lots of things, including traffic fumes. In 3 the scientists are concerned about all fumes, including traffic fumes.

April 7, 2021 at 12:57 pm #85135
    Josephine DallimoreJosephine Dallimore
    Participant

Interesting talking about adverbs. I was wondering the same thing in Tutorial 1, Practice Exercise 6. I came to the conclusion that if it flows well in a sentence then that it probably the correct way to place the word.  It seems to roll off the tongue better. I often find reciting a sentence out load helps.

It is easy to forget rules such as adverbs, which I have read earlier and I find I have to go back over and re-read.

Thanks

Jose

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.